Thursday, December 27, 2012

Sharing Some Random Thoughts

By Renton de Alwis

Written in June 2010, while sitting in a hotel room in Bangkok. At the time, that city was recovering from a severe bout of civil unrest. This column was an attempt to capture the feel of a busy city, looking beyond its usual glamour, while switching back and forth from home to my temporary abode at the time.  

I am sitting here on a Saturday morning in a hotel room in Bangkok. I was pulled out for a while of my active retirement, by my former employer; the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) with an invitation to take on a short assignment of three months. With interest earned on my retirement support nest-egg cut by almost half, by the Central Bank and so much left on the pay-back debt to Mother Lanka on the free education she gave me left, I said why not.

Smaller world

Like I did when in Sri Lanka, living in the remote village of Kiula in the Deep South filing my weekly column, I shall do the same while here. What can I say, but a big ‘Thank You’, to all those from around the globe, whoever, however had chipped-in to invent and develop the power of Info-communication. It amazing how time, place barriers no longer matter at all. We can work from anywhere, with the same efficacy. It’s all about a bit of imagination, innovation and creativity. The world is now a small place. To most I know, big no longer means might and small, indeed is beautiful.  

I miss Kiula; sights, sounds and the feel of Kalametiya and its surrounds fill my heart. It is said that home is where your heart is. I have almost forgotten how to stay away from home for long spells.

Busy but calm

I look out the window here and see a line of people on the Siam Central Sky Train station’s platform waiting for the arrival of the next train. Perhaps Saturday morning shoppers, tourists and those catching up on chores they could not do during the week. All is quite here. One can not imagine there was unease, in this part of Bangkok a few weeks ago. Except for a few charred roofs I see at random, Bangkok is on its feet again. It must be the value of tolerance the Buddha taught. The calm charm of the greeting ‘Sawasdee’ is everywhere, in the midst of the busy, busy feel of ant-like activity. I had seen Bangkok grow over the years. The traffic jams in this area before the Sky Train has now eased somewhat. Yet, not all together dealt with. Unlike how Singapore manages its traffic flows, with ‘pay and pay’ and capacity-based release of cars on its roads.

Park and ride

I recall the sound initiative our former transport minister Dallas Allahaperuma had to discourage cars from entering Colombo.  City executives could park and ride by luxury coach from Moratuwa. Sadly, it had no takers. His intent was to do the same on other routes too. That was a good scheme, but proved that we Sri Lankans were yet unwilling to give up even a part of our comfort, for the common good.

The potential saving on fuel bills, reduction of CO2 emissions, noise pollution, ease congestion, more earnings from tourism; for Colombo could be nicer and more visually beautiful for pedestrians, were non-issues. I wonder why the recent stern action of getting the pavement-hawkers of Pettah off the streets, building an alternative shelter for them in a more conducive environment; can not be extended to our motorists as well? ‘Park and ride’ is an excellent proposition.

No exemptions

It must be made mandatory or regulated with high entry toll-fees for motorists at all times. There can not be exemptions to politicians or government servants. For exception will be the ruin of any good initiative. The rule of law must prevail. All, regardless of who they are, must be made to either take the bus or pay to enter by car by paying the toll. With such schemes, the programme of moving government offices and large business-houses out of the city to less congested areas will be hastened. Business leaders and officials will be better motivated to move themselves out when they have to pay more to operate from within the city.

There will be initial resistance, like in all else. Removal of pavement-hawkers and making key Colombo streets ‘one-way’ were two examples. With time, people see the benefits and begin to appreciate its merits. To do all of this, we do not need to aspire to be a Bangkok, a Singapore or a Hong Kong or even a Kuala Lumpur. We must indeed learn lessons from the follies of others. What we do in the end, need be our own fit-for-need initiative, managed with determination and fairness.          

Our future

In front of the hotel I am staying are a host of private business tuitoring schools. Thai people, like us place high-stakes on education. When I walk from work in the evenings, ten minutes away, I see a hive of activity around with young teens at these schools. They are in uniforms and make a lovely sight, much like bees in a hive.

The sight took my mind back home. Our tuition classes, Sunday schools, teachers, examinations, students, their aspirations and a whole host of things. I recalled that I had only half-read the book my friend Daya Dissanayake, gave me a few days before I left. It was his own work, titled “Vessan Novu Vedun” (Doctors who did not prostitute the profession) and was about doctors who served, placing service before remuneration. I thought of some of our teachers who fitted the description and those who did not.

I thought about our students and the Thai students of whom I still know very little. But I know them to be our future, the future of our countries and the future of our only common planet.   
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment